As said before, I like to tinker around with technology, also at home. I’ve always wanted to build my own version of a word clock, ever since I saw one from Qlocktwo at a store.

Together with my girlfriend, I’ve built my own version of the Qlocktwo word clock. Using WS2812b LED strips, a Raspberry Pi 3B, some wood, a soldering iron, and a lot of patience, we’ve built our own version of a word clock. Oh, and of course, we got help from the Open Source community, as we used this project as a starting point.

I needed to modify the code, as at that time the layout for the Dutch language was not available. You can find my version of the code here. It has been running for 6 years now, and in contrast to iPhones, it does not suffer from Daylight Saving Time bugs.

Word clock